Friday 11 April 2014

Evaluation Activity 5 (FINAL)


How did you attract/address your audience?

FRONT PAGE/COVER PAGE-
The bright, vivid colours attract my audience immediately. Its draws there attention to 'Static' and then down to 'Anne Gilchrist- Rising Electric'. This informs the audience of the main topic in the magazine and also the magazines title. The Rule of Thirds is obeyed on the front cover with the Masthead in the first third, the models face and main features are found in the second third and in the final third you can see the main cover line which tells the audience who the magazine features in this case Anne Gilchrist.
The cover page also features the Golden Spiral as the information increases from the top left hand corner of the page.
With the cover lines, I used popular artists that relate to the magazine and will also be popular with my chosen audience. I used multiple artists to give a good insight into what my magazine includes which will cause them to read on and look inside. The
layout of the magazine is not clear but this suits the fact that the rest of the magazine does not conform to the mainstream music magazine. A magazine like Kerrang has an F layout which would not be appropriate for my magazine for the reasons that I have just stated. The model I have used will also attract my audience into reading the magazine because the shot I have used is well framed but slightly mysterious when paired with the main cover lines which suggest that there could be a new artist on the horizon. New, unseen artists are one of the interests of my audience, Indie Scenesters.
I have addressed my audience in an informal and formal way which are appropriate for the subject matters. For example the writing with my Skrillex cover line suggests worry and is formally presented with the words 'What is he doing now?'. I have used a more informal typography when talking about Daft Punk in which I have used some of their album titles to create a witty story. The music knowledge of  my audience made this possible to use because they will already know the songs and be able to relate to them.
CONTENTS PAGE-
For my contents page I have used a more sophisticated style taking advantage of the white space on the page to make the page look a lot more formal. I have broken up the page with pictures which is similar to Dazed and Confused. I wanted my magazine to be fully focused on not just the music but also the photography. This explains why I have used these pictures in the contents page. I have Capitalised all subject matters,artists or albums to show the importance of the music in the magazine. For example on my REGULARS column I have capitalised The Glitch Mob, Skrillex and Peppertones. This capitalisation really works in attracting my audience to a certain topic or subject on the page. This also makes the important parts of the magazine stand out from all the others. I have continued the colour scheme of hot pink from the cover page to keep the continuity of the J-Pop/Electro genre throughout the magzine. Other than the title of the contents page, I have used the colouring for the  lines placed under the Cover, Front and Regulars. This keep with the formality as well as the continuity and colour scheme. I have used an unusual spacing technique which can be found in Dazed and Confused. I felt I should use this style because it fits with the whole theme of not conforming to mainstream aspects.
DOUBLE PAGE SPREAD-
I have kept the colour continutiy throughout the double page spread as well as reusing the font I used for my main cover lines. This makes the magazine readable as there is a clear theme and the reader knows that this part of the magazine is related to the feature on the cover. The photo I have used may not be as interesting as the others but I wanted the article to take precedence on the double page spread. The lines used on the block of text formalises and keeps the writing within a set place, avoiding a text bleed. I have addressed my audience in an informal way as I have also spoken to my artist in an informal way.
I have purposely created a lot of white space to give the look of a clean organised page and that everything on there is there for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment