Wednesday 9 April 2014

Evaluation Questions- (3)

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why? 

A publishing company, such as Bauer Media, uses the process of publishing to make information available to the wider public.

There are multiple ways to distribute my magazine the first and most common method being news-stands/news shops.

Many music magazine are distributed through this method such as Kerrang, NME and Q. This is an incredibly effective way of distributing a magazine.

However for my magazine I don't think it will be as useful as it will not reach the niche audience that I would expect to read my magazine.

I have aimed for my magazine to be more like Wonderland. or Dazed and Confused which both have a smaller but more dedicated audience that are more likely to pick up every issue.

Another distribution method is that of mail distribution where the reader subscribes to the magazine either online or over the phone. This makes the possible audience smaller but also makes sure that the magazine will be appreciated by who reads it as they have actively looked for the magazine online. Both of these distribution models are Paid Circulation which I feel would be appropriate for my magazine.

Another circulation I could use is Non-Paid Circulation which is more aimed at free newspapers such as Metro and also the music magazine Loud and Quiet.

Funding for my magazine may be hard to gather as I would have to rely on Shareholders and several smaller investors for money. If any of this major cogs were to pull out of the funding then the magazine could fall apart as fast as it had come together.

To publish my magazine I would have to use a company such as Emap. This company has now broken down but at one they had an 18% market share in the industry and published large magazines such as Empire which is relevant to my magazine because it is another magazine which is in the entertainment industry.


SoundCloud 

1 comment:

  1. Because this question doesn't ask you to consider (plural) institutions I think you need to refine your answer - or at least be more definite in your final paragraph. Check this with Mr Smith too.

    ReplyDelete